Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Escaping The Photoshop & Cementing a Style

Sometimes images just don't escape Photoshop.

You know exactly what I mean and I have been guilty of this. They're ugly and disgusting and only similar words can do best to describe them.

Escaping Photoshop to me is the first step in escaping your medium To me escaping your medium is imperative to good execution of whatever concept you're trying to convey. Sometimes the problem lies in a lack of said concept, but other times it's pure lack of skill.

Always, always though concept is what makes any execution shine.

Just check out this page here on Web Urbanist where the artist melds together concept and execution to define completely mind blowing non realities.

Concept is where every great design has it's foundation. Back in the seventies and eighties the design team known as Hipgnosis rammed their metaphorical phallus in everyone's face using their almost scizophrenically genius concepts. They dominated rock and roll album covers with a photoshop that was more involving and intensive then your friend burning you a copy off some torrent site.

There's a lot of bad photoshop out there, heck look at the banner above you.



The above tree and stereo-castle was something I was proud of. Two or three years later and I'm looking at the something cheesy and plagued with obvious dodge and burns.




Image on the left was a sketch that I pulled into the photoshop and started applying all kinds of textures. It looks rather terrible. The image on the right is my attempt at something http://souljunk.com type art.

I don't remember what the point of this thread is really.

I'm trying my best to cement a style in a digital age using digital mediums.

I like more organic things - but everything has a need for some polish.

Concept and composition.

blah

No comments:

Post a Comment